The Online Library has recently gained access to more features in RefWorks, the reference management tool that is integrated into Summon. These new features will help you to keep track of useful readings you find as you research, and insert references into your essay. RefWorks' features include:
- You can automatically generate your bibliography using RefWorks. Select the references you want to include, and then click Create Bibliography at the top of the page.
- You can upload PDFs to RefWorks, so that you can keep the most useful articles in one place. In RefWorks, click the 'Add' button in the top left corner, or simply drag the file onto the RefWorks webpage. You have an unlimited amount of storage space. RefWorks' Creating References and Adding Documents video shows you how to do this.
- You can annotate documents in RefWorks. Click on the reference and if you have uploaded the article you will see the Read button in the panel on the right. You can then select text and click on the Highlight or Comment buttons at the top.
- You can insert references directly from RefWorks into your essay using a plugin for Microsoft Word. RefWorks' Writing with RefWorks video explains how to do this.
- You can add references and full text to RefWorks from websites using the Save to RefWorks browser plugin. Install it by going to Tools in RefWorks.
If you are new to RefWorks, our Reference Management Software page explains how to set up your free account and how you can create references in RefWorks from the Summon search results.
If you already have an account, you can log into RefWorks here. Your username is your University of London email address, which is normally your Portal username followed by @student.london.ac.uk