The Senate House Library, University Of London
If you are within travelling distance of London, as a distance learning student of the University of London you will be entitled to join the Senate House Library.
For details of libraries which are prepared to offer their facilities to University of London distance learning students please see the Libraries PDF.
If no libraries in your country or region are listed, then we suggest you contact your nearest British Council Office to see if it has a library or can recommend any alternatives. You could also ask universities or colleges near you if they allow students of other universities to use their libraries, but do remember that many do not have the space or capacity to offer such a service.
Most libraries will ask you to provide proof of registration with the University of London before you can use their services. Present your student card, or virtual ISIC card, to the librarian. The Online Library can also provide a ‘Letter of Introduction’ which confirms that you are a registered student. Please note that this does not guarantee access to the collections of other libraries.
You may also find the following directory of libraries useful:
Libraries in London
- British Library | (Portico Service) British Library Catalogue | Further help for researchers.
- British Library Manuscript Catalogue | (Manuscript Catalogue)
- British Library Newspaper Library Catalogue
- British Library Sound Archive Online Catalogue
- Directory of Libraries in the University of London
- InforM25 Consortium of Higher Education Libraries
- Search 25 | London Area Academic Library Catalogues
- British Library Guide to Libraries in London
UK-Wide Library Resources
- Access to Archives: A2A | The A2A database contains catalogues describing archives held throughout England and dating from the 900s to the present day.
- Cambridge University Libraries
- COPAC | Consortium of University and Research Libraries OPAC (Catalogue)
- Find your Local Library
- Libraries in Great Britain and Ireland
- Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru | National Library of Wales
- National Library of Scotland
- Oxford Libraries including the Bodleian
- RLUK- Research Libraries in the UK and Ireland
Libraries Beyond London
- Canadian Libraries Gateway
- Library and Archives Canada (National Library of Canada and National Archives of Canada)
- Catalogue collectif de France
- The European Library | gateway to Europe's national libraries
- CONUL consortium of Ireland's main research libraries
- Karlsruhe Virtual Catalogue
- La Bibliotheque Nationale de France
- Libraries in Europe
United States of America
- American Online Library Catalogues
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress Online Catalogues
- MELVYL (University of California Library System)
- New York Public Library
- Africa Research Central | A clearing house of African primary resources. Available in English and French.
- Libdex: the Library Index | A searchable directory of library homepages and online catalogues across the globe, covering 18,000 libraries.
- Repositories of Primary Sources | A listing of over 5000 websites describing holdings of manuscripts, archives, rare books, historical photographs, and other primary sources
- WorldCat | the world's largest network of library content and services. Find resources in Libraries near you.
- Worldwide Library resources