The Online Library provides access to RefWorks through Summon, but you can use other free reference management tools, such as Mendeley.
You can download Mendeley as a desktop tool, or you can use the web version. Both versions are free, but have slightly different features. To make full use of Mendeley, you need both the desktop and web versions.
With the web version, you can use the web importer browser add on to import any reference it finds on the website you're looking at. For example, if you're on the page of an article, you can import its reference into your web library. You can sometimes use it to import and store the PDF of the article as well.
With the desktop version, you can use the citation plugin for Microsoft Word to insert references into your essay from your reference library.
To use references in your web library with the citation plugin, click the 'Sync' button in the desktop version. This will ensure that your web library and your desktop library contain the same references.
Moving references from RefWorks to Mendeley
Follow these steps:
- In RefWorks, select the references you want to move
- Click 'Share' and then 'Export'
- Select 'BibTeX' as the format
- In Mendeley, click 'Add' and then 'Import BibTeX'
- Select the file you exported from RefWorks, and the references should appear in your Mendeley library
Moving references from Mendeley to RefWorks
- In Mendeley, select the references you want to move
- Click 'File' and then 'Export'
- Select 'RIS' as the format
- In RefWorks, click 'Add' and then 'Import references'
- Select the file you exported from Mendeley, and the references should appear in your RefWorks library